What do all of those abbreviations mean?


MA: Masters degree in Counseling (CACREP), from Texas State University Requirements

  • Jaclyn N. Sepp completed 61 hours of graduate level coursework, 100 hours of clinical practicum & 600 hours of site-based internship.
  • Successful completion and passing score on National Counselor Examination for Licensure & Certification

LPC: Licensed Professional Counselor Requirements

  • A master’s degree in counseling from an accredited college or university.
  • A planned graduate program in counseling of at least 48 graduate semester hours.
  • Academic course work in each of the following areas: normal human growth and development; abnormal human behavior; appraisal or assessment techniques; counseling theories; counseling methods or techniques (individual and group); research; lifestyle and career development; social, cultural and family issues; and professional orientation
  • Supervised practicum experience with at least 300 clock-hours with at least 100 clock-hours of direct client contact.
  • Take and pass the National Counselor Exam
  • Take and pass the Texas Jurisprudence Exam
  • Supervised post-graduate counseling experience (LPC internship). 3000 clock-hours with at least 1,500 being direct client contact of internship under the supervision of a board-approved supervisor is required.

RPT: Registered Play Therapist Requirements

  • Current and active individual state license to independently provide clinical mental health services
  • Master’s degree with demonstrated coursework in child development, theories of personality, principles of psychotherapy, and child & adolescent psychopathology, and ethics
  • General clinical experience required by state licensure roughly equivalent to 2 years and 2,000 hours of general mental health clinical experience
  • 150 hours of play therapy specific instruction from institutions of higher education or APT-approved providers (limit 50 non-contact hours)
  • 500 hours of supervised play therapy specific experience, plus 50 hours of concurrent play therapy specific supervision

NCC: Nationally Certified Counselor Requirements

  • Hold a master’s degree with a major study in counseling including at least 48 semester hours of graduate-level academic credit in counseling.
  • Coursework must cover the following nine content areas: Human Growth and Development Theories in Counseling, Social and Cultural Foundations in Counseling, Helping Relationships in Counseling, Group Counseling Theories and Processes, Career Counseling and Lifestyle Development, Assessment in Counseling, Research and Program Evaluation, Professional Orientation to Counseling, Counseling Field Experience
  • Document at least 100 hours of counseling supervision.
  • Document having completed at least 3,000 hours of counseling work experience.
  • Obtain a passing score on the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE).

SSP: Specialist in School Psychology (SSP), from Texas State University

  • The School Psychology Program at Texas State University received approval in 2008 from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to replace the Master of Arts (MA) degree in School Psychology with a Specialist in School Psychology (SSP) degree.  This degree replacement does not represent changes to courses and field placements.  Rather, the change provides graduates with a degree that reflects the specialist level of training that the Texas State program provides.  This new degree aligns the Texas State program with the training model promoted by the National Association of School Psychologists. The SSP degree is equivalent to other Specialist degrees (e.g., EdS) and at 69 credit hours is considerably more than a Master’s degree.
  • Kate Curran Mire completed 69 hours of graduate level coursework, 600 hours of practicum & 1200 hours of site-based internship.
  • Successful completion and passing scores on the National School Psychology Examination and Jurisprudence Examination

LSSP: Licensed Specialist in School Psychology Requirements

  • Requires completion of a training program in school psychology approved/accredited by the American Psychological Association or the National Association of School Psychologists, or a graduate degree in psychology with specified course work.
  • Requires a formal internship of at least 1200 hours, of which 600 must be in a public school.
  • Requires passage of the National School Psychology Examination.
  • Requires passage of the Jurisprudence Examination

NCSP: Nationally Certified School Psychologist Requirement

  • Coursework: Complete an organized program of study that is officially titled “School Psychology” that consists of at least 60 graduate semester/90 quarter hours. At least 54 graduate semester/81 quarter hours must be exclusive of credit for the supervised internship experience.
  • Practica: Completion of a sequence of supervised experiences that occurred prior to and exclusive of the internship is required. These experiences are typically conducted in laboratory or field-based settings and provide for the application of knowledge and specific skills.  
  • Internship: Successful completion of a 1,200-hour internship in school psychology, of which at least 600 hours must be in a school setting.  
  • Praxis Test: Take The Praxis School Psychologist exam and achieve a passing score of 147.